Skip to main content

Mirage

Rusty snuggled up against my legs, indulging in the warmth. I caressed his lustrous coat, affection glittered in his jet black eyes “You so enjoy that Rusty don’t you? Naughty doggie, now move away and have your meal”. He whimpered “Rusty I want to reminisce, please!” his eyes had those pleading looks “So very smart of you! OK you are my best friend, if you want to be here then sit quietly!” He quickly curled up near the chair and looked at me with raised eyebrows. I cleared my throat, adjusted my spectacles, closed my eyes and focused on the gentle back and forth motion of rocking chair. “What a journey!” I marvel and smile. I opened my eyes and pulled a bronze shaded hardback photo album. The album’s title read ‘Golden Era-Bronze conceals Gold'; this intriguing title had captivated me many moons ago and I bought it right away from an antique shop .

My wrinkled fingers browsed the ‘Golden Era’ embossing. I wasn’t very much into preserving pictures for memories sake in those days. For me, memories were meant to reside in hearts rather than being frozen on paper prints. A picture in print was an indication of ‘end of physical proximity’; despite of harboring those beliefs I don't know why I purchased that album.

Sigh…I have had a fairly satisfactory journey so far. I have a superb family, met remarkable people and had endearing friends. Granddaughter, my little princess visits me every weekend. She keeps me going in the twilight of my life. In an old age home, it gets monotonous at times for there are same old wrinkled faces all around. Young blood is inimitable. That reminds me of my University days. How we girls spent hours in ‘Bird Watching’:P Nowadays, it's the buoyancy of my spirited buddies that keeps me going at this place, i glanced at Rusty. Rusty was four months old when i saw him for the first time at my friend's place. His innocent eyes had entranced me. She was looking for an owner and i being a gracious soul adopted him. And my of course, my Princess, I am reliving my childhood days with her and she says she aspires to be like me. I coax her to be herself and carve her own niche identity.

Teleportation is the best scientific innovation so far. It is so magical! I mean all you have to do is imagine and Huf-Puf! You land at that place! Star War style. The other day I had those shopping cravings so guess what! I landed in streets of Paris and bought an elegant Hat and a pearl necklace :P And Hey! Its Mercy’s birthday today, let me ‘Face time’ with her. Switched off! Sigh! She was a ‘good friend’ once upon time. Though, she still is but our definitions of ‘Good Friend’ got unsynchronized as time passed by. The equations got somewhat imbalanced and things were never the same again. And with others as well the gaps grew. We all try and meet once near the lake on last Saturday of each month, some make it, some don’t. I somehow knew all along that a phase would come when intimacy would gradually fade and yet deep inside I was worried. It finally happened and we all are living with it. I am still fond of my gang, they've made me the person that I am today and we all have a hearty laugh reminiscing old times.

Rusty is getting irritated “Sit down boy; I am not so young you see!” I guess I’ll have to take him out for fresh air, he's not at all patient.I glanced at the bronze book ‘Next time Darling’ and the album went back to the shelf. I wore my ‘not so new, not so old’ hat, walking shoes and grabed the umbrella. Rusty and I face the mirror "Man! i still have that charm :P" Wink! Wink! I close my eyes and Huf-Puf!

Comments

sobhit said…
am baffled how u can look into the future and portray it so nicely in words... u sure have dat teleportaion or time machine wid u it seems :P.. good to see a post coming up from u after such a long time.. must and will say again u gota be more regular here...

coming to d post, i liked it... ncie breezy read.. words of a dadi ma :P, looks like u know it all.. have pictured ur journey clearly, but like dey say life happens when we were busy making plans... u jst might be thinking 2 hard f d future.. am not sure y mercy wud not still be wid u.. i sure will b arnd to bug you whenevr u will feel now der is no1 to bother :P :P.. u sure can count on me...

photographs.. ahh , so nice u wrote abt it here, c u know it urself memories r alwaz etched in our mind n hearts but the pictures bring dem to life... and not the uploaded pictures online... but the ones on that foto album... the charm of a fot album or scrap book alwaz remains.. so does d elusive letters u penned dwn to your buddies :).. des r d marvels n precious collection none can replace.. dat y focus more on making the memomries for future den peaking into it :P ;P..

tyms n situation do make things look bleak n more den often it wont hapn d way v wnt it 2b... but smthing alwaz will hapn.. n dos r memories 4 ever.. d fites d jokes d weird yet sweet gestures.. dey all do make d journey worthwhile.. i cant picture my future as u have.. u sure like i said hv d magic f teleportation.. but i do know who n what i want in life.. n will do wot all in my reach to mk sure if not exactly wot i want.. but smthing does...

u also failed to mention how u have had left impression on ppl in ur journey... how u made dem in2 bttr ppl... wanting to do good n b gud.. hv it not been 4u.. some (read me :P) mite still b blving dat honesty n truth r dead virtues.. having met u n cpl of other few, i realised der still r ppl who not jst value these virtues but use dem as well.. wont deny but at tyms its scary wid ppl like u who hv such ethics.. :P

coming to ur princess.. am sure she wnats to follow ur league.. after all ur a royal princess urself n a princess goes on to be d queen.. d lil one sure has u as inspiration.. u alrdy r inpiration 4 many.. d future too has ur admirers :P :)

n ur charm shal never fade my frnd.. it will only get brighter wid time.. ur charm n red wine.. dey only get bttr wid age :P :P... also dont 4get to have me in dat old age home along wid u... be it wid the 35 n still single deal or otherwise :P :P...

PS u have to have a continuation to it.. maybe how d lake side satrdays go or more of thots from d paralel perfect world.. dont disappoint ur fans by hibernating for so long... keep posting
sobhit said…
n as 4 rusty.. one lucky dog he is :P :P
MothSmokeLover said…
Hey thanks for stopping by after ages. I write here now.

HTTP://TODAYHAZBEENOKAY.BLOGSPOT.COM

How are things at your side?
ToBlog today said…
You have the power of word-play so perfectly executed!

Popular posts from this blog

You get to be a judge!

Innocent... or Guilty? I have this fascination for judges, advocates and courtrooms.There's something about them which evokes my inner chords. How i wish i were a lawyer...sigh! Anyhow, whatever happens happens for good. So, personally this tag is kind of special for me because i get to be a judge for a change:D Rohini at Train of thought tagged me. I am omitting rule 4 in my post. RULE 1- You can only say Guilty or Innocent. RULE 2- You are not allowed to explain anything unless someone messages you and asks! RULE 3- Copy and paste this into your notes , delete my answers, type in your answers and tag to your friends to answer this. Asked someone to marry you? Innocent. Ever kissed someone of the same sex? Innocent. Danced on a table in a bar? Innocent. Ever told a lie? Guilty. Had feelings for someone whom you can’t have back? Guilty. Kissed a picture? Guilty. Slept in until 5 PM? Innocent. Fallen asleep at work/school? Guilty. Held a snake? Innocent. Been suspended from school?

Smiles and small wins

Meera looked around, searching for a friendly or familiar face amidst the crowd. All she craved was a smile or just someone noticing her. She had had a long day today at the resto-bar and her boss had asked her to clock in an extra couple of hours because it was Friday.  "I am not a shadow to be ignored, I am a star" she smiled hoping someone would reciprocate. Meera glanced at the shadows swaying to the music in blinking red and yellow lights. Oh, wait! Was it just music or the alcohol-induced trance? Or both? As she waited by the women's restroom, she adjusted her uniform to breathe in more air. Her workstation was miles apart from the airconditioned hall and a small table fan was placed near her stool. More than air, the fan exuded pesky noise. She let out a long sigh and peeked at her wristwatch. She felt some relief! Meera wished for time to pass sooner. She imagined sitting on her bed and watching the blissful face of her sleeping daughter. "You will be home wi

The day I turned 28 ;) (Yes I dare to say the number)...Am I really this old?

Twenty-eight years ago on Monday, 22 nd December 1986 an angel descended on the earth amidst dense fog and chilling winter…she charmed one and all :P Everyone was celebrating and congratulating!  Monday, 22 nd December 2014, this time too dense fog had enveloped Delhi! Freezing breeze brushed past my face and ruffled my hair, I couldn’t help but smile…it was the same years ago, Man!! This is my real vaala birthday (considering the weather conditions and the fact that it was Monday like in ’86)  Early morning auto ride...and I like this tree But alas, I was reporting to work this time unlike my previous birthdays, when I was pampered silly by one and all!! Mind raced back to my grand  birthday celebrations last year…that was supposed to be my last birthday as a bachelorette…as fate would have it, here I am! very much single, hale and super happy :) Dad did pass a remark ‘this should be your last one as a bachelorette in this house’ and I was like ‘ho ho ho’.  It has